Afterschool STEAM Educator
Lewis Latimer House
A New York City landmark, the historic house of African American inventor, humanist, and son of fugitive slaves Lewis Latimer, the Lewis Latimer House Museum calls attention to Latimer’s and other People of Color’s contributions to science, technology, arts, poetry, and American life, through multilingual tours, exhibits, public and S.T.E.A.M. educational programs in the above areas. Visit lewislatimerhouse.org.
The Tinker Lab was established as the key educational program at LLHM to serve high quality, innovative hands-on activities in STEAM, inspired by Lewis Latimer’s multi-disciplinary talents. Recent stand-alone virtual workshops include paper engineering, forensic exploration, electronic music-making. Long-term programs include coding and game design.
The Lewis Latimer House Museum (LLHM) seeks a talented STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) educator for its 2022 winter-spring Riverdale House Residency program. The ideal candidate is passionate about leading accessible, interactive, and enriching activities integrating STEAM subjects and celebrating African American inventor Lewis Latimer’s legacy.
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
– Develop a curriculum that includes long and short-term projects and incorporates Latimer’s story.
– Leading lessons in the classroom.
– Tracking attendance.
– Communicating effectively with museum staff and residency site staff.
– Documenting the process/ progress of the program.
Please note experience in any of the following areas in your resume and cover letter.
– Must have experience teaching STEAM/STEM and/or studio art
– Excellent curriculum design skills
– Experience teaching creative coding are highly desired
– Knowledge of Scratch and/or other computer programming languages/tools/apps for children, as well as Arduino, micro-controllers, or other robotics systems such as EV3, WeDo are a plus
– Passionate about integrating STEAM subjects and bringing educational resources to BIPOC communities in New York City
Salary or Compensation:
$60/hour, with one lesson-planning hour accompanying each classroom teaching hour, for a total of 2 hours per week.
Organization or Project Website:
Please email a cover letter outlining how your background and experience fit the position, a resume, and 2-3 professional references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking for a candidate who can start immediately. No phone calls please.