Arts Education Coordinator
Wave Hill is a 28-acre public garden and cultural center overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades. Its mission is to celebrate the artistry and legacy of its gardens and landscapes, to preserve its magnificent views, and to explore human connections to the natural world through programs in horticulture, education, and the arts. The Education Department provides hands-on learning experiences for children, youth, teachers, and intergenerational groups of visitors in the arts and sciences to educate and inspire life-long learners.
The Art Education Coordinator provides creative input and art education guidance for various Education programs and developing art components of curricula. The Art Education Coordinator will manage the day-to-day operations of the Family Art Project (FAP), which immerses families in the pleasures and wonders of Wave Hill’s gardens, grounds and art exhibitions at Glyndor Gallery through hands-on, nature-based, art activities that encourage creativity and imagination. This program runs year-round, with a drop-in format each weekend.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Education Programs Manager. Must be available to work Saturday and Sunday and occasional evenings required.
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
The Coordinator supervises staff, guest artists, volunteers and manages the Arts, Community and Environmental Stewards (ACES) program, a year-round paid internship program for young people. The Coordinator leads recruitment, training, and mentorship for this program with support from Education staff. In addition, the Coordinator will work closely with the Education Programs Manager to provide creative and pedagogical input and assistance on a variety of interdepartmental programs as needed.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
– Developing pedagogically appropriate seasonal project lesson plans highlighting new or previously presented themes to promote multicultural perspectives, and the importance of upcycling materials to reduce waste.
– Preparing art project demonstrations/samples and signage with assistance from FAP staff and interns
– Managing work schedules, tracks staff and intern hours, and coordinates submission of timesheets
– Purchasing, organizing, and maintaining supplies and materials
– Developing seasonal copy and editing web content, and working with Marketing on outreach efforts
– Maintaining program records including staff and supply budgets, contact lists, and attendance statistics
– Assisting with the preparation of proposals, reports, evaluations, and other documents
In addition to teaching and administrative duties, additional requirements include:
– Degree in art, education, art education, or related field; advanced degree preferred
– Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills
– A minimum of 2-3 years relevant experience teaching with intergenerational groups in an informal setting
– Experience training and mentoring youth interns
– Background in art education or related field, and knowledgeable about gardens and nature
– Strong interest in Wave Hill’s education programs and mission
– Cultural competency to work with diverse and local Bronx communities
– Computer skills that include remote platforms and Microsoft office
– Proficiency in Spanish a plus
Salary or Compensation:
Organization or Project Website:
Send resume and cover letter in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state Arts Education Coordinator in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and only those receiving an interview will be contacted. Candidates asked to interview for the position will be required to submit an arts curriculum sample and prepare a demonstrated lesson using information provided. No calls please.