Cathedral of St. John the Divine
The Cathedral of Saint John the Divine is one of the world’s most celebrated cultural institutions. With its doors open to everyone, the landmarked Cathedral is an international and vibrant space that draws hundreds of thousands of visitors annually, providing numerous opportunities to experience and learn about this institution in exciting and new ways.
The Cathedral’s secular Department of Public Education & Visitor Services (PEVS) seeks part-time Educators for the 2022-23 academic year. Cathedral Educators are responsible for leading school field trips, adult programs, and public tours in the world’s largest cathedral. Subjects include medieval history, architecture, world religions, geometry, and more!
Manager, Community & Educational Initiatives
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with PEVS to provide programs for student (pre-school through college), adult, and family groups. This includes preparing materials, teaching the program, and breaking down after the program.
• Teach inquiry- and curriculum-based programs in the Cathedral and online with emphasis on such topics as cathedrals’ roles in the Middle Ages, architecture, geometry, social justice, contemporary art, and comparative religions.
• Lead hands-on activities in Arts Workshops related to the above topics.
• Greet and supervise performing choirs in the Cathedral.
• Support program development, visitor services, and departmental administration as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of teaching experience in a museum or K-12 classroom, or a minimum of 5 years applicable work experience, required. Master’s degree in education, museum education, or a related field – or working toward such a degree – is preferred
• Comfort working with diverse audiences, especially K-12 students
• Demonstrated experience teaching with art materials and hands-on activities
• Knowledge of educational pedagogy, differentiated instruction, and best practices in museum education, including experience with Visual Thinking Strategies and other educational models related to personal and group learning
• Strong listening, verbal, and writing skills
• Ability to assimilate information quickly and enthusiastically; demonstrated flexibility in changeable environments
• Self-starter who is dependable, organized, and punctual; someone who works well independently and as part of a team
• Ability to accept guidance, direction, and supervision; gives feedback and shares ideas appropriately and professionally
Salary or Compensation:
Organization or Project Website:
Email resume, cover letter, and sample lesson plan on any topic to email@example.com with “Cathedral Educator” in the subject field. No calls, please. Qualifying candidates will be asked to lead a short sample tour on a topic of their choice to assess presentation skills, pedagogy, group management techniques, organization, and time management prior to being hired.
All Cathedral staff are required to be fully vaccinated (including at least one booster) against Covid-19. All staff will continue to follow Cathedral’s COVID-19 health and safety protocols.