The American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in New York City is one of the premier science, research and cultural institutions in the country. The Center for Lifelong Learning (CLL) at the American Museum of Natural History provides exciting science learning opportunities for children of all ages.
Programs cover the diverse topics of natural sciences featured at the Museum, from astrophysics to zoology, and span depths of engagement from promoting basic science literacy skills for Kindergarten children, to offering cutting edge original research opportunities for talented High School students.The American Museum of Natural History is seeking a part-time CLL Teaching Assistant to work across programs offered by two departments: 1) Youth Initiatives and 2) Children and Family Learning. The Teaching Assistant will aid the lead educator in facilitation of camp, workshop, and after school programs throughout the year. The person in this role will be working with children of all ages and in a variety of content areas.
- Assisting educators with classroom management and instruction techniques during programs.
- Assisting with classroom setup and cleanup before and after programs.
- Helping to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for a large student body representing the diversity of New York City.
- Organizing and preparing materials, and maintaining supply stocks during programs.
- Supervising students during visits to Museum exhibitions and other activities outside of the classroom.
- Leading small group activities.
- Coordinating drop-off and pick-up of students by parents, if applicable.This is a part-time position requiring a flexible schedule, with peak programming happening from July-August. Weekend and holiday work may be required.
- Applicants must have a high school diploma and have successfully completed at least one year of college level coursework in a natural science or education related field.
- Experience with teaching methods in informal settings is preferred.
- Experience working with Diversity, Equity and Inclusion practices in a community setting.
- Experience in fieldwork or a laboratory setting is a plus.
Job Date: 2020-03-18
Application Info: To Apply, visit: https://careers.amnh.org/postings/2224
Contact Name: Danny Zeiger
Contact Phone: 212-313-7105
For more information please click here.