Central Park Conservancy
Central Park is one of the most famous and beloved urban public spaces in the world. Designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux in 1857, the 843-acre park was the first purpose-built public park in the country and is a National Historic Landmark. The Central Park Conservancy, a private not-for-profit organization, was founded in 1980 to rescue the Park which had fallen into serious disrepair. Since that time, the Conservancy has overseen the investment of approximately $1 billion in the restoration of the Park, and now hosts over 40 million visitors a year.
The Conservancy’s mission is to preserve and celebrate Central Park as a sanctuary from the pace and pressures of city life, enhancing the enjoyment and wellbeing of all. The City of New York has formally entrusted the care of the Park to the Conservancy which is responsible for every aspect of the Park’s care, including landscape maintenance, capital improvements, and the visitor experience. Committed to sharing the best practices in urban park management, the Conservancy also serves as a resource for other NYC parks and for public-private partnerships around the world. The Conservancy employs 325 people and has an operating budget of $80 million.
Central Park Conservancy Guides are public facing representatives of the Conservancy’s Interpretation and Programs department, responsible for curating and leading interpretive and educational programming focused on Central Park’s natural and cultural significance through the lens of stewardship.
Associate Director, Interpretation & Programs
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
• Lead virtual and in-person tours, family discovery walks, school, and other specialty programs for adults and children; staff member and community engagement events, where needed.
• Under the direction of the Associate Director of Programs & Interpretation, develop virtual and in- person program content on Central Park’s history, ecology, design, and cultural significance for diverse audience groups, ages, abilities and backgrounds.
• Contribute to the improvement of interpretive programming and delivery of best practices through ongoing research and professional development.
• Update program materials, including scripts, visual resources, maps and lesson plans.
• Carry out program logistics, including on-site ticket sales, check-in, evaluation and post-event reporting.
• Help mentor and train new staff and volunteer guides.
• Other administrative duties, visitor experience support and related activities as required.
• Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 2+ years professional experience delivering and creating interpretive and educational programs for adults, children and/or school groups; or, 4+ years professional experience delivering interpretive and educational programs for adults, children and/or school groups. Work delivering education programs highly preferred; accessibility programs, a plus.
• Experience executing place-based learning, visual thinking, and audience engagement strategies.
• Team player that thrives in a collaborative and dynamic work environment.
• Excellent time management and communication skills, written and oral. Must be able to multitask.
• Proficiency utilizing virtual conferencing software (Zoom, Google Meet), Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel), and other web-based tools (ticketing system, etc.).
• Strong customer service skills, with the ability to act professionally in all situations.
• Must be able to speak, read, and write fluent English. Fluency in an additional language preferred.
• Valid driver’s license and willingness to operate a vehicle in Central Park preferred.
Tuesday – Saturday
Salary or Compensation:
$44,100 (starting salary, negotiable based on experience)
Organization or Project Website:
Candidates should email their resume along with a cover letter outlining their interest and experience for the role to Kaitlin Holt (Associate Director, Interpretation & Programs) at firstname.lastname@example.org, and Omar LeBron (Senior HR Business Partner) at email@example.com.