The American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in New York City is one of the premier science, research and cultural institutions in the country. The American Museum of Natural History is seeking: A Discovery Room Lead Facilitator to serve as a primary link between Discovery Room visitors and its activities.
Working with a core team of paid staff, volunteers and interns, the Lead Facilitator will model appropriate visitor engagement techniques and ensure all areas of the room have proper staffing coverage during normal operating hours. He or she will also provide critical teaching assistance, activity development, research, and maintenance support while under the guidance of full-time Discovery Room staff.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Interact with the general public to facilitate the use of the Discovery Room and its activities.
- Supervise and model teaching techniques for volunteer and intern staff.
- Welcome visitors and orient them to the room.
- Maintain accurate visitation records.
- Teach morning classes for pre-K-2nd grade school groups.
- Assist Discovery Room full-time staff with curriculum and resource development for special programs such as the weekly Gateway Storytime program, Professional Development workshops and weekend outreach programs.
- Perform basic room maintenance such as simple puzzle repairs, resetting of activities, organization and care of the teaching collection, and occasional live animal care as needed.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- At least 2 years of undergraduate academic experience in a natural science related field.
- Demonstrated ability to actively engage both children and adults in an informal science learning setting.
- Ability to maintain a positive, professional and welcoming attitude in a fast-paced, demanding customer service environment.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Familiarity with MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- Availability to work on weekends and occasional holidays.
Job Date: 2020-03-18
Application Info: To apply, visit: https://careers.amnh.org/postings/2279
Contact Name: Danny Zeiger
Contact Phone: 212-313-7105
For more information please click here.