New-York Historical Society
The New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the nation’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The Early Childhood Educator leads and develops the DiMenna Children’s History Museum (DCHM) signature early childhood programs, Little New-Yorkers, Sunday Story Time, and Stroller Tour Through History. Each program engages young children through storytimes and activities related to New York and its history. In addition to overseeing these three programs, the educator will be on the floor in DCHM on Sundays, and assist with other family programs as needed. The educator will work Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays.
DCHM family programs will include a mix of in-person and Zoom classes. In-person programs will have safety measures in place, including masking for staff and families and limiting registration. The Early Childhood Educator must be willing and able to lead classes in either format.
This position is part-time, up to 24 hours per week according to an agreed-upon schedule.
– Lead Little New-Yorkers twice-a-week (Tuesday and Friday afternoon 3:30 – 4:15 pm) for children ages 3 – 6 years old and their grown-ups
– Lead Sunday Story Time once-a-week (Sunday 11:30 am – 12:15 pm) for children ages 4 – 7 years old and their grown-ups
– Lead Stroller Tour Through History twice-a-month (2nd Fridays 9:15-10 am and 3rd Sundays 10:15-11 am) for children ages 0 – 2 years old and their grown-ups
– Choose themes, stories, art projects for Little New-Yorkers, Sunday Story Times, and Stroller Tour Through History
– Plan logistics for programs; coordinate and monitor supplies
– Write occasional blog posts highlighting early childhood programs
– Write program copy for website
– Document projects and maintain records
– Oversee DCHM gallery space on Sundays, including library and brochure rack, customer interaction, wayfinding, etc
– Assist with additional family programs as needed
– BA in related field;
– Regular Sunday, Tuesday and Friday availability;
– Ability to work independently and to take ownership over a program;
– Two plus years’ experience working with children under 6 and families, and with art making;
– Interest in New York and U.S. history;
– Flexibility and ability to work during holidays and school vacation weeks
– Experience working in a museum, a plus.
Compensation: There are 12 administrative/prep hours per week ($18/hr) and 3 teaching hours per week ($25/hr) which are guaranteed, and the opportunity to take on additional hours.
Website: Click here
Application Info: Please follow this link to apply https://jobapply.page.link/D8rJ