Education Programs Manager
Wave Hill is a 28-acre public garden and cultural center overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades. Its mission is to celebrate the artistry and legacy of its gardens and landscapes, to preserve its magnificent views, and to explore human connections to the natural world through programs in horticulture, education and the arts. The Education Department provides hands-on learning experiences for children, youth, teachers and intergenerational groups of visitors in the arts and sciences to educate and inspire life-long learners.
The Education Programs Manager is actively engaged with connecting school and family communities to the natural world with high quality, personal and hands-on experiences. This individual leads a team of full-time and part-time staff, and interns who support the development and implementation of dynamic programming.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Education. The schedule is Monday to Friday with occasional weekends. There is some offsite travel to schools, and occasional evenings required. Benefits include: medical, dental, vision insurance; paid time off; 401k, pension plan and life insurance.
Director of Education
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
The Education Manager is responsible for the development, implementation and coordination of experiential, immersive learning opportunities for school and family audiences. This includes but are not limited to:
– Oversee the Pre-K-12 programs (on-site and virtual programs, summer camps and partnerships) and Family Art Project, a year-round, drop-in format weekend program.
– Supervise the school and Family Art Project teams including full-time and part-time staff and interns.
– Lead the development and facilitation of professional development workshops, which focus on aiding teachers, and other educational professionals, in curriculum development and integrating science and art into their curriculum.
– Develop and maintain relationships with partner organizations, evaluating partnership programs and writing reports.
– Provide training and support to promote a progressive, social and environmental justice-oriented teaching and learning style.
– In collaboration with the Director of Education, develop and refine program proposals, curricula and evaluation metrics for partner organizations, such as Con Edison and the Bronx Institute.
– Develop and monitor annual budget for school and Family Art Project programs.
– Collaborate with education, arts and public programs on interdepartmental programming
– Performs other duties as assigned.
The Manager must have experience working with school and family communities in an informal setting and demonstrate cultural competency to work with diverse audiences. This individual must have supervisory experience and great competency with teaching and developing interdisciplinary curriculum including natural science and the arts topics. In addition to experience with teaching and administrative duties, other requirements include:
– Master’s Degree in education, environmental/nature education, museum education or related
– Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills.
– Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines while juggling multiple tasks and projects, planning months in advance while responding to day-to-day demands.
– A demonstrated positive approach to problem solving and collaborating with others.
– A minimum of 5 years relevant experience teaching with school community audiences.
– Strong interest in Wave Hill’s education programs and mission.
– Cultural competency to work with diverse and local Bronx communities.
– Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; knowledge of Microsoft Teams, Microsoft SharePoint, Zoom, and Google Meet a plus.
Salary or Compensation:
Organization or Project Website:
Send resume and cover letter in a single PDF document to email@example.com. Please state Education Program Manager in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and only those receiving an interview will be contacted. Candidates asked to interview for the position will be required to prepare a demonstrated lesson using information provided. No calls please.