Center for Architecture
About the Center for Architecture: The Center for Architecture is a leading cultural venue for architecture and the built environment in New York City. The Center for Architecture shares a home with the American Institute of Architects New York Chapter and has the unique advantage of drawing upon the ideas and experiences of practicing architects to produce thought provoking exhibitions, informative public programs, and engaging design education experiences for K-12 students, teachers and families. It also leads New York City’s annual month-long architecture and design festival, Archtober. The Center for Architecture’s aim is to educate a broad audience about the built environment and the value of contemporary architectural practice in urban life.
The Center for Architecture is seeking freelance Design Educators to teach in our K–12 architecture and design education program, Learning By Design; a multi session residency offered during the school day. Programs typically run for 6–10 weeks, serving multiple classes with weekly 90-minute classroom workshops on a program theme. Our programs use hands-on, project-based design activities to enrich classroom studies, build students’ understanding and appreciation of architecture and the built environment, and develop their design sensibilities and critical thinking skills.
Design Educators are hired and paid on a per program basis. Candidates must be willing to travel to program sites throughout the city and to collaborate with partner teachers to develop age-appropriate, sequential lessons that integrate architecture and design into classroom studies.
Director of Education
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
– Develop/modify the residency lesson plan as needed;
– Prepare for and attend the planning meeting and professional development session (if included) with participating teachers;
– Order and track supplies and expenses;
– Maintain communication with participating teachers, school administrators and CFA staff throughout residency;
– Gather and share documentation of program (ex. photos, videos, and projects);
– Participate in a 30-min post residency meeting with the School Programs Manager which can take place in-person, over zoom or on the phone.
– Bachelor’s or master’s degree in education and/or arts education, architecture, design, engineering;
– Minimum two years’ experience leading hands-on art/design projects with K-12 audiences in a school, museum or community setting;
– Excellent classroom management skills and ability to work with students of varying abilities;
– Familiarity with NY State Blueprint for Teaching and Learning in the Arts and curriculum standards, including the Social Studies and Science Scope and Sequence.
Qualified candidates will be asked to provide sample lessons plans based on topics provided by the Center for Architecture. Design Educators accepted for employment must be fingerprinted by the New York Public Schools before taking on a program in an NYC public school. CFA will reimburse the fingerprinting fee.
Salary or Compensation:
Compensation: Design Educators are paid on a per program basis as independent contractors at a rate of $165/90-minute classroom session with students. Additional compensation is provided for planning meetings, curriculum research and other training and meetings as required.
Organization or Project Website:
Application Instructions: To apply, please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to Lmazzola@centerforarchitecture.org. Please put the job title and your last name in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.