New York Botanical Gardens
This is a temporary part-time position with a payrate of $22 per hour. Children’s Education seeks 4 Educators for the GreenSchool. GreenSchool offers cross-disciplinary workshops and tours using plants as a lens for inquiry and phenomena-based science explorations inside the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory and throughout the Garden. Educators lead in-person and potentially remote programs with the goal of student experiential learning and appreciation of the natural world. Educators organize and maintain program supplies, plants and classroom space.
Additionally, this position supports, through actions and conduct, NYBG’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility initiatives and helps to build and maintain an inclusive organizational culture throughout the institution.
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
– Facilitate in-person set-curriculum inquiry-based plant science and cross-disciplinary workshops and tours for Pre-kindergarten through 8th grade school groups (all ability levels, including children with learning differences).
– Participate in a professional learning community of informal science educators to build effective teaching practices which help students learn constructively through culturally relevant, phenomena-based investigations of unique resources, hands-on activities, and peer discussions in-person and remote.
– Facilitate the set-up of teaching supplies each morning, followed by the cleanup, inventory and preparation of materials each afternoon.
Assist in on-going assessment, experimenting and improvement of programs, digital learning platforms and GreenSchool curricula that enhances student experience of programs.
– Solicit teacher evaluation of education programs.
– Potential candidates must have an undergraduate degree with a background and/or familiarity with current museum education practices that emphasize student-driven experiences, Strong science (ecology, botany, or horticulture) and teaching experience in informal settings preferred.
– Experience and comfort facilitating programs using a variety of online learning platforms.
Excellent communication skills are required.
– Ability to work in all weather conditions and to be flexible incorporating unique museum resources including digital technology in a complex, dynamic and fast-paced environment both in person and remote.
– Outgoing and welcoming personality; responsible, punctual, professional and motivated. Prior experience and enthusiasm for working with schoolchildren. Must demonstrate a love of plants.
– Please be advised, as a term and condition of accepting a job offer the candidate for employment must submit proof of full vaccination. Candidates for employment unable to submit proof of full vaccination at the time of the offer will not be considered for employment. This policy is subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of Title VII and the American for Disabilities Act (ADA) and other EEO consideration. If you believe that because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief that you may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation or exemption to this policy please contact HR@nybg.org.
– If you require an accommodation for any part of the application process, please notify the Human Resources department at HR@nybg.org.
– EOE/BIPOC/F/Persons with disabilities/Veterans
Tuesday-Friday; September 21 through June 23, 2023 9a.m.-2p.m. Must be available for Children’s Education Staff Professional Learning Days: September, 20-23, 27-30, January 25-26, March 22-23, June 13 9a.m.-2p.m.
Salary or Compensation:
Organization or Project Website:
To apply for GreenSchool Educator at New York Botanical Garden, click the link below: