New York Botanical Garden
This is a temporary part-time position. Children’s Education seeks 2 Educators for the GreenSchool. GreenSchool offers cross-disciplinary workshops and tours using plants as a lens for inquiry and phenomena-based science-explorations throughout the Garden. Educators lead remote, and in-person school group programs with the goal of student experiential learning and appreciation of the natural world. Educators maintain and organize teaching supplies, plants and classroom space following COVID-19 safety protocols and procedures.
Additionally, this position supports, through actions and conduct, NYBG’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility initiatives and helps to build and maintain an inclusive organizational culture throughout the institution.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
– Facilitate remote and outdoor set-curriculum inquiry-based plant science and cross-disciplinary workshops and tours for Pre-kindergarten through 8th grade school groups (all ability levels, including children with learning differences).
– Participate in a professional learning community of informal science educators to build effective teaching practices which help students learn constructively through culturally relevant, phenomena-based investigations of unique resources, hands-on activities, and peer discussions in-person and remote.
– Facilitate the set-up of technologies and in-person teaching supplies each morning, followed by the cleanup, inventory and preparation of materials each afternoon.
– Assist in on-going assessment and improvement of programs, digital learning platforms and GreenSchool curricula that improves student experience of programs
– Solicit teacher evaluation of education programs.
– 2 Days Tues.-Fri./Wk, September 21 through March 18, 2022.
– Tuesday-Friday, March 22 through June 24.
– Must be available for Children’s Education Staff Professional Learning Days: September, 21-24, 28-30, January 26-27, March 23-24, June 14.
– Potential candidates must have an undergraduate degree with a background and/or familiarity with current museum education practices that emphasize student-driven experiences, Strong science (ecology, botany, or horticulture) and teaching experience in informal settings preferred.
– Experience and comfort facilitating programs using a variety of online learning platforms.
– Excellent communication skills are required.
– Ability to work in all weather conditions and to be flexible incorporating unique museum resources including digital technology in a complex, dynamic and fast-paced environment both in person and remote.
– Outgoing and welcoming personality; responsible, punctual, professional and motivated. Prior experience and enthusiasm for working with schoolchildren. Must demonstrate a love of plants.
Please apply on our website: https://jobs.jobvite.com/nybg/job/oHd6ffwZ
The New York Botanical Garden is committed to an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible (IDEA) work environment, and further recognizes that diversity in our workforce fosters excellence in our mission of advocating for the plants of the world. Leveraging the strong foundation of existing policies and practices, NYBG will advance inclusivity, diversity, equity, and accessibility through a number of institutional initiatives. Our aspiration is to continue to cultivate a workforce and institution that is as diverse as the communities we serve and the audiences we engage.
If you require an accommodation for any part of the application process, please notify the Human Resources department at HR@nybg.org.