New York Botanical Gardens
The GreenSchool Science Education Intern is a temporary, part-time position with a payrate of $17 per hour.
Children’s Education seeks a Science Education Intern for the GreenSchool during the 2022-2023 school years. GreenSchool offers cross-disciplinary workshops and tours using plants as a lens for inquiry and phenomena-based-science explorations throughout the Garden. The Intern will lead in-person and remote school group programs with the goal of student experiential learning and appreciation of the natural world. They will support the daily operations of the institutional space and staff needs and research, develop and evaluate curricula.
Additionally, this position supports, through actions and conduct, NYBG’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility initiatives and helps to build and maintain an inclusive organizational culture throughout the institution.
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
– Facilitate in-person and remote set-curriculum inquiry-based plant science and cross-disciplinary workshops and tours for Pre-kindergarten through 8th grade school groups (all ability levels, including children with learning differences).
– Participate in a professional learning community of informal science educators to build effective teaching practices which help students learn constructively through culturally relevant, phenomena-based investigations of unique resources, hands-on activities, and peer discussions in both in-person and remote.
– Facilitate the set-up of supplies and technology each morning, followed by the cleanup, inventory and preparation of materials each afternoon.
– Support the daily operations and maintenance of the institutional space including plant care and classroom and supplies organization.
Assist in on-going assessment and refinement of programs, digital learning platforms and GreenSchool curricula that improves student experience of programs.
– Solicit teacher evaluation of education programs.
– Participate in a team to conceive, design and practice new spring program offerings.
– Potential candidates must have an undergraduate degree with a background and/or demonstrated familiarity with contemporary museum education practices. Strong science (ecology, botany, or horticulture) and some teaching background required.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
– Ability to work in all weather conditions and to be flexible in a complex, dynamic and fast-paced environment.
– Prior experience with and enthusiasm for working with schoolchildren. Must love plants.
– Please be advised, as a term and condition of accepting a job offer the candidate for employment must submit proof of full vaccination. Candidates for employment unable to submit proof of full vaccination at the time of the offer will not be considered for employment. This policy is subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of Title VII and the American for Disabilities Act (ADA) and other EEO consideration. If you believe that because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief that you may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation or exemption to this policy please contact HR@nybg.org.
– If you require an accommodation for any part of the application process, please notify the Human Resources department at HR@nybg.org.
– EOE/BIPOC/F/Persons with disabilities/Veterans
Tuesday-Friday 9am-5pm, September 20 through June 23
Salary or Compensation:
Organization or Project Website:
To apply for GreenSchool Science Education Intern at New York Botanical Garden, click the link below: