In-Person Summer Education Program Assistant
Center for Architecture
The Center for Architecture is a leading cultural venue for architecture and the built environment in New York City. The Center for Architecture shares a home with the American Institute of Architects New York Chapter and has the unique advantage of drawing upon the ideas and experiences of practicing architects to produce thought provoking exhibitions, informative public programs, and engaging design education experiences for K-12 students, teachers and families. It also leads New York City’s annual month-long architecture and design festival, Archtober. The Center for Architecture’s aim is to educate a broad audience about the built environment and the value of contemporary architectural practice in urban life.
The Center for Architecture’s Summer Programs are weekly architectural classes for students in grades 3-12. The Summer Assistant provides artistic and administrative support to the Center for Architecture Design Educators leading the Summer Programs. We will be hiring three assistants: one to focus on elementary (Grades 3-5), one for middle school (Grades 6-8), and one for upper level high school classes (Grades 9-12).
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
• Assist with all activities in the classroom and on field trips
• Assist with management and supervision of the camp group
• Help with daily program prep and clean-up
• Coordinate student check-in/check-out, interface with parents
• Supervise students during lunch break outdoors at a local park with CFA staff (ES/MS)
• Document program activities through photo, video, and written documentation of programs for web and online posting
• Coordinate with CFA staff on program implementation
• Assistants will be required to complete CFA-paid First Aid/CPR training prior to start date
• B.A. in Arts Education, Museum Education, Architecture, or related fields (completed or currently pursuing)
• Substantial experience in education or youth programs
• Hands-on model building and artistic skills, including Xacto knife cutting
• Ability to take initiative and work both independently and collaboratively
• Energetic individual comfortable with daily activities of walking, standing, bending, lifting
• Strong interest in CFA’s educational programming & mission
• Professional and friendly manner
Qualifications (Middle School and High School):
• Experience with SketchUp digital design program preferred
Qualifications (High School):
• College or graduate level architectural training
June 26 – August 25, 2023: Summer programs in session (skip July 3 – 7)
June 20 – 23: Program prep and orientation for 10-20 hours (schedule tbd)
8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday with 1-hour unpaid lunch (8 AM start on Mondays)
Program hours for students are 9:00 am – 4 pm. Assistant hours include 30 minutes before and after programs for prep, clean-up and coordination with staff.
Salary or Compensation:
$22-$25/hour depending on experience level
Organization or Project Website:
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com. Please put the job title and your last name in the subject line of your email. Please specify in your cover letter which ages you are interested in working with (Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12). No phone calls, please.