The Bruce Museum seeks a highly motivated, energetic team player for the Audience Engagement Department. The Museum Educator will focus on teaching onsite and outreach programs and will be expected to learn about the Museum’s permanent collection and temporary exhibitions. In particular, the Museum Educator will lead the twice weekly outreach STEAM program at Building One Community Center in Stamford. In addition to leading the STEAM programs, the Museum Educator will teach in-house and outreach programs as needed, attend training sessions, assist with program material preparation, recruitment events and meetings for specific initiatives, and other daily tasks as time allows. This person will also assist with large-scale evening and weekend events, like family days and lectures, as necessary. The Educator will receive training from Museum staff before leading programs and tours.
Illustrative Examples of Work:
– Lead outreach programs for elementary aged students at the Building One Community Center in Stamford, CT.
– Teach in-house and outreach programs as needed.
– Set-up and clean-up after programs take place.
– Check supplies and prep materials for upcoming programs.
– Support large-scale events, such as family days and lectures, by preparing and assisting with hands-on activities, registration, set-up, and clean-up
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
– Teaching experience, particularly with children, required.
– Understanding of the basic tenants of STEAM pedagogical theory.
– Unattended mobility required in object handling, ability to drive the museum vehicle and visit facilities unequipped to accommodate people with physical disabilities
– Current driver’s license.
– Must be available to teach on Thursday evenings from 3:00 pm to 6:15pm at Building One Community Center in Stamford, CT.
– Traits: honesty, integrity, outgoing personality, friendliness, able to work under pressure, organized, attention to detail, positive attitude, eager to contribute to a team effort, ability to meet deadlines, self-starting, flexible, patient and sense of humor.
– Bachelor’s Degree in art, science, cultural history, education, museum studies, or related field required.
– Previous experience teaching preferred.
Salary or Compensation:
$19 per hour, 20 hours each week
Organization or Project Website:
Please send a resume and cover letter to Kathleen Holko at firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls please.