The Voelker Orth Museum
The Voelker Orth Museum, Bird Sanctuary and Victorian Garden is set in a Landmarked 1890s immigrant family’s home. It preserves and interprets the cultural heritage of Flushing, Queens and environs. It offers a variety of educational programs that integrate house and garden and take an interdisciplinary approach, incorporating history, environmental science, and art.
The VOMuseum provides group, family and adult workshops and fairs; offers house tours and art exhibitions; and talks and performances year-round. The VOMuseum takes an experiential approach, welcoming visitors into the period rooms, focusing its science and history curriculum on things that can be observed, and wherever possible handled, onsite. Many visitors are first and second generation immigrants residing in Queens and the metro area. The VOMuseum is incrementally adopting a new interpretive plan as the Museum enters its 20th year of operations.
The Voelker Orth Museum seeks highly motivated, energetic educators as adjuncts in its educational programming. The Museum offers weekday science and history programs for grades pre-k through 6.
Instructors lead inquiry-based, hands-on workshops for students. Training is provided. Materials & supplies provided by the museum, some set-up may be required for the sessions. This is a per diem position, primarily morning sessions. Instructors must be available at least one weekday morning (9-12), during the school year. Hours vary from week to week, likely not to exceed 3 mornings per week.
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
• Experience with teaching and classroom management in an educational setting, museum or cultural organization
• Flexible schedule
• Interest and willingness to teach classes across disciplines, including history, science, and art
• Ability to work with diverse audiences.
• Instructors must be available weekly at least one morning (9-12), Monday through Friday, during the school year. Some afternoon sessions may become available.
• Periodic work for camps, afterschool lessons, family workshops, and offsite programs may be available year round, for interested instructors.
Volunteers and interns may be available to assist in set-up/prep for sessions with guidance from the instructor.
• Must be able to lift and transport supplies weighing up to 20 pounds
• Must be able to remain standing, alert, and energetic for three hours at a time
• Excellent oral communication skills
• Preferred: B.A./B.S. Degree in education, museum education or visual arts (with teaching experience)
Generally 9am-noon, weekdays
Salary or Compensation:
$25 per hour per session (usually 3 hours)
Organization or Project Website:
The Museum has openings starting in March and works with several instructors.
To apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Deborah Silverfine, email@example.com. The Museum will request references for candidates. The Voelker Orth Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.