Lewis Latimer House Museum
A New York City landmark, the historic house of African American inventor, humanist, and son of fugitive slaves Lewis Latimer, the Lewis Latimer House Museum calls attention to Latimer’s and other People of Color’s contributions to science, technology, arts, poetry, and American life, through multilingual tours, exhibits, public and S.T.E.A.M. educational programs in the above areas. Visit lewislatimerhouse.org.
The Tinker Lab was established as the key educational program at LLHM to serve high quality, innovative hands-on activities in STEAM, inspired by Lewis Latimer’s multi-disciplinary talents. Recent stand-alone virtual workshops include paper engineering, forensic exploration, electronic music-making. Long-term virtual programs include coding and game design.
The Lewis Latimer House Museum (LLHM) seeks a talented STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) educator for its 2022-23 winter-spring Residencies.
The ideal candidate is passionate about leading accessible, interactive, and enriching activities integrating STEAM subjects and celebrating African American inventor Lewis Latimer’s legacy.
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
This position entails conducting one to four weekly classes (residencies) depending on the candidate’s experience and availability. Residency programs may include CASA (Cultural After-School Adventures) programs, after school classes at partner community organizations, and in-school programs at partner schools.
– Must have experience teaching STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math) or STEM
– Excellent K-12 curriculum design skills
– Experience teaching creative coding are highly desired
– Knowledge of Scratch and/or other computer programming languages/tools/apps for children, as well as Arduino, micro-controllers, or other robotics systems such as EV3, WeDo
– Design thinking skills and studio art experience are a plus
– Passionate about integrating STEAM subjects and bringing educational resources to BIPOC communities in New York City
Per Diem, Part Time, Contractor
Salary or Compensation:
Organization or Project Website:
Apply: Please email a cover letter outlining how your background and experience fit the position, a resume, and 2-3 professional references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.