Public Programs and Visitor Services Manager
As Manhattan’s oldest surviving residence, the Morris-Jumel Mansion, built in 1765, preserves, collects, and interprets history, culture, and the arts to explore inclusive narratives that engage and inspire diverse audiences.
One of the nation’s foremost historic house museums, Morris-Jumel Mansion, located in Upper Manhattan, empowers audiences to create relevant contemporary connections to the histories of the Mansion, its collections, the land, and its people, past and present.
Educational field trips; free Community Cultural Events (concerts, poetry readings); Monthly Family Days; After-School CASA program; Immigrant Cultural Initiative; Self-Guided and Guided Tours; a new Audio Experience on Anne Northup; Monthly Virtual Parlor Chats, and specially themed and bilingual tours, serving 10,000 visitors and students.
The Public Programs and Visitor Services Manager is responsible for overseeing the delivery of exceptional guest services within the museum and public park, as well as developing and implementing innovative public programming. They will work closely with the Executive Director, School & Community Programs Manager, and Administrative Coordinator to ensure that daily operations and public events run smoothly and efficiently, and that the museum’s diverse audiences are fully informed and engaged. This individual supervises part-time visitor services staff, volunteer docents, part-time programming staff, and interns. The position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Rate, Hours, and Schedule:
The Public Programs and Visitor Services Manager position is a full-time exempt position (35 hours/week) with occasional night and weekend hours required as directed by the museum’s schedule. This position is scheduled on-site Tuesday – Saturday 9:00am – 5:00pm with some flex/remote hours available. The rate of pay is $54,000 annually. This position is eligible for all benefits, including health insurance, outlined in the Morris-Jumel Mansion Employee Handbook.
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
● Managing front of house tour and program operations, including ticketing systems, event registrations, and the museum’s gift shop.
● Help facilitate a positive visitor experience and ensure that the museum and park are presented at their best.
● Responsible for developing and facilitating public and adult educational initiatives at the Mansion, creating a varied and innovative schedule of public programs.
● Serve as a critical member of the Mansion’s opening team by working closely with staff and volunteers to uphold and exceed established safety protocols; stay abreast of evolving COVID-reated best practices and industry trends.
● Execute and book site rentals, including film shoots, weddings, and private events.
● Ensure timely data entry and production of reports related to visitation, visitor feedback,, and sales.
● Oversee museum’s public tour program, and train museum staff and volunteers on visitor services
tasks and tour delivery, as well as develop and deliver tours and educational content.
● Assist Administrative Coordinator with marketing and social media planning with input and
coordination with the museum team.
● Work with the museum team to assess and expand the interpretative and didactic content presented in
the museum, including expanding access to content.
● Engage museum patrons, significant stakeholders, the immediate neighborhood, and the broader
community to create a welcoming, inviting, and relevant educational environment.
● Serve as Manager on Duty for the Visitor Services Department on days as assigned.
● Ensure opening and closing procedures for mansion and park.
● Assist with program facilitation, special events, digital initiatives, and other projects as assigned.
3-5 years of experience in a museum environment; bachelor’s degree preferred; excellent verbal and written communication skills; time management and organizations skills; ability to speak Spanish a plus
Salary or Compensation:
Organization or Project Website:
Send letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org