Wave Hill is a 28-acre public garden and cultural center overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades. Its mission is to celebrate the artistry and legacy of its gardens and landscapes, to preserve its magnificent views, and to explore human connections to the natural world through programs in horticulture, education and the arts. The Education Department provides hands-on learning experiences for children, youth, teachers, and intergenerational groups of visitors in the arts and sciences to educate and inspire life-long learners.
The School Programs Coordinator facilitates and oversees all learning experiences for pre-K to 12th grade students including in-person and virtual academic year field trips, and summer camps. This position builds relationships with the local school community including traveling to schools for offsite programs. The Coordinator supports partnership programs/courses on a range of topics including natural sciences, art and local history, and teacher professional workshops. In collaboration with education staff the Coordinator researches, compiles and writes pedagogically appropriate lesson plans with a progressive, social and environmental justice-oriented teaching and learning style.
The Coordinator is responsible for the management and maintenance of supplies and education spaces. This individual supervises and trains school program part-time educators and interns. The Coordinator works with the Education Assistant to ensure efficient administration of all school programming, including scheduling/booking programs, ordering supplies and processing check requests. The Coordinator supports department and institutional programs as needed.
Education Programs Manager
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
– Develops pedagogically appropriate lesson plans and extensions meeting New York State and national school standards, updates lessons seasonally according to industry best practices
– Manages schedules, trainings and evaluation for part time educators and interns
– Acts as a lead teacher for field trips, summer camps, and in-school programs
– Performs outreach to schools and community partners to build relationships and promote programs
– Purchases supplies and oversees maintenance and organization of program materials
– Assists with the preparation of proposals, reports, evaluations, and other documents
In addition to teaching and administrative duties, additional requirements include:
– Degree in education, environmental/nature education, museum education or related field; advanced degree preferred
– Excellent organization, communication and interpersonal skills
– A minimum of 2-3 years relevant experience teaching with school community audiences in an informal setting
– Experience teaching natural science topics in an outdoor setting
– Strong interest in Wave Hill’s education programs and mission
– Cultural competency to work with diverse and local Bronx communities
– Computer skills that include remote platforms and Microsoft office
– Proficiency in Spanish a plus
This is a full-time position reporting to the Education Programs Manager. Schedule is Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:00 pm; occasional evenings and weekend days required
Salary or Compensation:
The salary range is $38,000 to $42,000, plus benefits including: medical, dental, vision insurance; paid time off; 401k, pension plan and life insurance.
Organization or Project Website:
To Apply Send resume and cover letter in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state School Programs Coordinator in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and only those receiving an interview will be contacted. Candidates asked to interview for the position will be required to submit a school programs curriculum sample and prepare a demonstrated lesson using information provided. No calls please.
Diversity Equity and Inclusion at Wave Hill
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Wave Hill is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact email@example.com.