The Olana Partnership
Reporting to The Olana Partnership’s (TOP) Director of Visitor Services & Engagement, the Visitor Services & Engagement Manager manages part-time Visitor Operations and Engagement staff, day-to-day operations of the Visitor Center and other onsite visitor services in all weather and all seasons. The Manager is responsible for providing excellent visitor services and an overall exceptional customer experience for all audiences and through all phases of the visitor experience. The Manager oversees staff scheduling and the collection and reporting of admissions revenues and visitor data and performs administrative duties that support TOP’s larger engagement vision. This position is full-time, with the ability to work Fridays through Sundays a must.
About Olana and The Olana Partnership: Olana is the greatest masterwork of Frederic Edwin Church (1826-1900), the preeminent American artist of the mid-19th century and the most important artist’s home, studio, and designed landscape in the United States. Church designed Olana as a holistic environment integrating his advanced ideas about art, architecture, landscape design, and environmental conservation. Olana’s 250-acre artist-designed landscape with five miles of carriage roads and a Persian-inspired house at its summit embraces unrivaled panoramic views of the Hudson Valley and Catskill Mountains and welcomes more than 170,000 visitors annually. The landscape is open for guided touring, and reservations are highly recommended. The landscape is open daily 8 AM-sunset.
Olana State Historic Site, administered by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, is a designated National Historic Landmark and one of the most visited sites in the state. The Olana Partnership, a private not-for-profit education corporation, works cooperatively with New York State to support the restoration, conservation, and interpretation of Olana. The Olana Partnership operates Olana State Historic Site in a cooperative agreement with New York State Parks.
Director of Visitor Services & Engagement
Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
• Primary responsibility for day-to-day Visitor Services and Engagement staff and programs with the goals of ensuring visitor safety, education, and enjoyment in coordination with the Director of Visitor Services & Engagement and NYS Parks staff;
• Manages, observes, and evaluates Interpreters and Visitor Services Associates in all front line visitor operations;
• Assists with management of Interpreter scheduling;
• Performs front line visitor operations as required, including outdoor/indoor touring in all seasons, walking/standing for an extended period of time, and driving an electric vehicle;
• Supports Director of Visitor Services & Engagement in training of museum-based interpretive models for interpretive staff;
• Coordinates all aspects of group/specialty touring;
• Responsible for data entry using Ascent, Counterpoint, Humanity, and other necessary systems to support quarterly staff budgeting and reconciliation reporting for the Director of Visitor Services & Engagement;
• Approves and edits daily time sheets and creates payroll documents bimonthly for HR;
• Communicates with Director of Visitor Operations & Engagement daily regarding all visitor feedback, accidents and inquiries, received both in person, from support staff and via phone and email;
• At the discretion of the Director of Visitor Operations and Engagement, participates in meetings focused on visitor operations and engagement, including weekly senior staff meetings, as required;
• Assists Director in meeting strategic plans and goals;
• Assists in tour planning and development;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree and two year’s experience in historic site or comparable customer service operations; a Master’s in a related field is a plus;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
• Strong interpersonal, organizational, written, and verbal skills;
• Must be available to work full weekends, Friday-Sunday;
• Valid driver’s license;
• Ability to walk on uneven ground, stand for prolonged periods of time, and lift 40 pounds;
• Must be able to walk/stand for an extended period of time and willing to drive an electric vehicle;
• Must consent to a background check required of all staff and volunteers at Olana;
• Must be able and willing to work in all kinds of outdoor weather and environments.
Salary or Compensation:
Organization or Project Website:
Submit resume and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com, with applicant name and position title in the subject line. Applications received by April 1, 2022 will receive priority review.