Apply to be the NYCMER Intern!
The New York City Museum Educators Roundtable (NYCMER), a forum for museum education professionals to address issues of museum and educational interest through workshops, seminars, and conferences, is seeking an intern for the 2021-22 programming season. This position is a fantastic networking opportunity for anyone looking to enter or grow in the field of museum education. The successful applicant will work closely with students and professionals representing a variety of levels of experience and museums of various disciplines throughout NYC and the surrounding region. They will participate in discussions related to this field, and help NYCMER to continue to provide thoughtful and engaging professional development opportunities to local educators.
***APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED! Apply by September 10, 2021***
The intern will work with members of the NYCMER Board and will take an active role in the planning and organization of the NYCMER Annual Conference and assisting with special projects.
Responsibilities and requirements:
- Work closely with the NYCMER Vice President and the Conference Committee to plan the NYCMER Annual Conference (held in May).
- Organize Conference proposals and program materials and assist with day-of coordination.
- Attend Conference Committee meetings and record minutes (1 evening per month).
- Participate in Board meetings (1 evening per month).
- Attend and assist with all NYCMER monthly professional development programs (monthly).
- Assist NYCMER Board members with special projects, which may involve communications, web updates and/or research and data gathering
- Opportunities to work with Board members on planning professional development and networking programs.
- Communicate effectively over email and in Google Drive between meetings.
As an applicant, you should have some background in museum education, either coursework or professional work, and be interested in pursuing a career in museum education. You must be self-motivated, have excellent communication and organizational skills, and have the ability to work collaboratively with different members of the board as well as NYCMER members and partnering organizations. Priority will be given to New York City based candidates.
Time commitment is September 2021 – June 2022 Weekly hours will vary; evening availability is required. A stipend of $1,000 per “semester” ($2000 total) is available for this position.
- Prepare an uploadable version of your resume/CV
- Prepare a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and the NYCMER organization, your background in museum/education/related areas, and your hopes/plans for the future.
- Identify and alert two people who will provide recommendations for you.
- These should be colleagues, teachers, or other peers who can speak to your professional skills and interests.
- If needed, we will contact them directly through email with specific questions.
- Fill out the application here -https://forms.gle/GafDggGjWcbGSh8C8
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the NYCMER VP, Sonya Ochshorn, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “NYCMER INTERNSHIP” in the email subject header.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the NYCMER VP, Brian Levine, at email@example.com. Please include “NYCMER INTERNSHIP” in the email subject header.